Read Across America Day, is Tuesday, March 2, and we have special resources you can use in your classroom to help bring the joy of reading to students.
The Connecticut Education Foundation is excited to share a Read Across Connecticut webpage filled with resources and a free link to a virtual read-aloud puppet show with book character puppets reading the story, The Someone New by Jill Twiss.
This unique virtual puppet program combines the importance of reading in a fun, exciting way—through the eyes of puppet characters from a book about diversity, kindness, and inclusion—to help instill a love of reading in children, especially in grades K-4.
Read Across Connecticut
A puppet show of the book The Someone New by Jill Twiss, including a Q&A with the author and the puppets with lessons from the book.The Read Across Connecticut Webpage features:
- A Q&A video with students from across the state asking author Jill Twiss questions about becoming a writer and how she creates children’s stories.
- Read Across Connecticut themed materials including bookmarks, reading certificates, and a flyer for parents about the importance of daily reading. All items can be downloaded and printed.
- Read Across Connecticut themed virtual backgrounds.
- NEA Read Across America Day resources.
We hope that you will incorporate the videos, materials, and other resources into your Read Across America activities this week. Send photos of your class watching the videos and participating in reading activities to email@example.com and we’ll send you an “I Love Teaching” face mask! (While supplies last).
https://cea.org/vaxnowad/ – see this link for the petition.
The new Social Security Fairness Act of 2021 H.R. 82 (2021-2022) is the new bill concerning repeal of Windfall Elimination Provision/Government Pension Offset (WEP/GPO) in the new 117th Congress.
This bill was introduced by Representative Rodney Davis from Illinois. Since this bill was not passed and signed into law in the last 2 years it needs to be reintroduced. Last year we had almost enough signatures from both parties to force a vote in the House.
Please call, or email your Representatives and Senators to co-sponsor HR 82. The only CT Representative that has signed on so far is Rep. Jahana Hayes.
From the website Social Security Fairness.
“Ask them to co-sign the new bill to repeal the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision because it affects YOU! Tell them some of these facts they may not be aware of:
- The offsets affect people who have fully earned Social Security retirement or spousal benefits.
- Both the GPO and the WEP cause lower income people to lose a larger percentageof their retirement income than they do for wealthier retirees.
- Currently, more than half a million retirees lose ALLtheir earned spousal and survivor benefits because of the GPO.
- The cost to repeal both the GPO and the WEP is less than 2%of what Social Security pays out in benefits every year.
The law requiring public employers to inform new employees that the offsets might affect their Social Security only became law in January, 2005. Many people still don’t understand the cuts to their benefits that are coming.”
Did you miss seeing Jill Biden’s address? Watch the recording here!